Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Perfection Anxiety

Pinterest is the number one reason for my anxiety.  Well, okay.... maybe it is the 2nd (or 100th) reason for my anxiety.  Case in point: 

My husband and I live in an extremely tiny bedroom.  And yes, I said "live."  We've always spent most of our time in our bedroom... the television is there... the computer is there... the comfy bed to sit on is there... So yes, "live" is appropriate in this instance.  I'd love to remake our space into something organized yet homey.  I therefore pull up Pinterest to see what other people are doing to enhance their small space.  I scroll, I click, I pin and then I do it all again.  After a few minutes of viewing picture after picture of perfection my anxiety level begins to rise.  I push through the anxiety to keep viewing all of these wonderful spaces that I would dearly love to adopt until I start to not only feel anxious but antsy as well.  I can't sit still.  I'm irritated.  Mad even.  There is no way I will ever be able to achieve any of these great ideas with what I have available to me.... so I shut down Pinterest and wallow in my misery. 

I've come to the conclusion that Pinterest is to the home dweller what Barbie is to a normal young woman... Something never to be achieved or believed.  When I think about that, I relax a bit.  I start to feel better about myself and decide that maybe I should just focus on one small area of my room.  I venture on to Pinterest once again and narrow my search to something I believe to be achievable.  The process starts over until I am once again miserable.  And so the cycle continues.  I have 123 boards, 4,678 pins, 836 followers and I am following 1,109 pinners.  Maybe if I just narrow my search down just a wee bit more.  Surely I'll achieve perfection inch by inch!  Now if you'll excuse me, it's just about time for my next anxiety attack. 

Thanks for reading! ~ Dawnee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Snarky Comment to let us know you stopped by.